Today we travel to a future where housing is guaranteed and provided to everybody.
- Amanda Vail — Director of communications at Plymouth Housing
- Dr. Sam Tsemberis — Founder of Pathways Housing First and author of Housing First Manual: The Pathways Model to End Homelessness for People with Mental Illness and Addiction
- Dr. Ivis Garcia Zambrana — Assistant Professor of City & Metropolitan Planning at the University of Utah
- Tara Raghuveer — Director of KC Tenants, director of the Homes Guarantee campaign at People’s Action
- Dr. Daniel Aldana Cohen — Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of Pennsylvania & co-author of A Planet to Win: Why We Need a Green Deal
- Carroll Fife — councilmember-elect for Oakland’s District 3, co-founder of Moms for Housing, director of Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment Oakland
- United Nations Declaration of Human Rights
- State of Homelessness: 2020 Edition
- United Nations Expert Describes Oakland and California’s Homeless Crisis as ‘Cruel’
- Berkeley dismantles homeless encampment outside Old City Hall, one arrested
- Homeless? Unhoused? Unsheltered? Word choice matters when reporting on Oaklanders who don’t have permanent housing
- How to Use Respectful, Instead of Degrading, Language Around Homelessness
- Meet the outsider who accidentally solved chronic homelessness
- Evaluation of Housing for Health Permanent Supportive Housing Program
- Housing First Manual: The Pathways Model to End Homelessness for People with Mental Illness and Addiction
- The Shockingly Simple, Surprisingly Cost-Effective Way to End Homelessness
- How Utah reduced homelessness by more than 90 percent
- Why Do Homeless Families Exit and Return the Homeless Shelter? Factors Affecting the Risk of Family Homelessness in Salt Lake County (Utah, United States) as a Case Study
- Why Housing First?
- America’s Largest Health Insurer Is Giving Apartments to Homeless People
- Phoenix still criminalizes homelessness, despite court ruling, protesters say
- A Pilot Study of the Impact of Housing First–Supported Housing for Intensive Users of Medical Hospitalization and Sobering Services
- Trump administration proposes reversal of homeless policy
- 7 Myths About Homelessness
- 40% of Americans don’t have $400 in the bank for emergency expenses: Federal Reserve
- What Would ‘Housing as a Human Right’ Look Like in California?
- Homes Guarantee Briefing Book (PDF)
- Homes for All Act of 2019
- Bernie Sanders and AOC Unveil a Green New Deal for Public Housing
- Remembering Red Vienna
- A Green New Deal for American Public Housing Communities
- A Green New Deal for Housing
- The Depression-Era Book That Wanted to Cancel the Rent
- Sustainable Housing Europe (SHE) – Moving from Extraordinary to Ordinary
- Oakland, S.F. neighborhoods fastest gentrifying in U.S.
- History of the Y Foundation
- GOOD TIMES by Lucille Clifton.
- Hello Fresh: Get fresh, pre-measured ingredients and mouthwatering seasonal recipes delivered right to your door. Go to HelloFresh.com/flashforward90 and use code flashforward90 to get $90 off including free shipping!
- Shaker & Spoon: A subscription cocktail service that helps you learn how to make hand-crafted cocktails right at home. Get $20 off your first box at shakerandspoon.com/ffwd.
- Tab for a Cause: A browser extension that lets you raise money for charity while doing your thing online. Whenever you open a new tab, you’ll see a beautiful photo and a small ad. Part of that ad money goes toward a charity of your choice! Join team Advice For And From The future by signing up at tabforacause.org/flashforward.
- Tavour: Tavour is THE app for fans of beer, craft brews, and trying new and exciting labels. You sign up in the app and can choose the beers you’re interested in (including two new ones DAILY) adding to your own personalized crate. Use code: flashforward for $10 off after your first order of $25 or more.
- Purple Carrot: Purple Carrot is THE plant-based subscription meal kit that makes it easy to cook irresistible meals to fuel your body. Each week, choose from an expansive and delicious menu of dinners, lunches, breakfasts, and snacks! Get $30 off your first box by going to www.purplecarrot.com and entering code FLASH at checkout today! Purple Carrot, the easiest way to eat more plants!
- The Listener: Get smart, surprising podcast recommendations in your inbox every day. Listeners to Flash Forward can get two extra months free at thelistener.co using the code flashforward20.
Flash Forward is hosted by Rose Eveleth and produced by Julia Llinas Goodman. The intro music is by Asura and the outtro music is by Hussalonia. The episode art is by Matt Lubchansky. The voices from the future this episode were provided by
If you want to suggest a future we should take on, send us a note on Twitter, Facebook or by email at email@example.com. We love hearing your ideas! And if you think you’ve spotted one of the little references I’ve hidden in the episode, email us there too. If you’re right, I’ll send you something cool.
And if you want to support the show, there are a few ways you can do that too! Head to www.flashforwardpod.com/support for more about how to give. But if that’s not in the cards for you, you can head to iTunes and leave us a nice review or just tell your friends about us. Those things really do help.
That’s all for this future, come back next time and we’ll travel to a new one.