Today we travel to a future where we make contact. What happens if we find aliens? What if they find us?
- Dr. Clara Sousa — quantum astrochemist at Harvard University
- Moiya McTier — astrophysicist at Columbia University and host of Exolore
- Dr. Michael L. Wong — planetary scientist at the University of Washington and host of Strange New Worlds: A Science & Star Trek Podcast
- Michael Oman Reagan — anthropologist & founding board member of the JustSpace Alliance
- Dr. Kathryn Denning — anthropologist at York University
- Jaime Green — writer & editor working on a book about aliens
- Dr. Jaad — Johnnie Jae
- Alex Jenkins — Keith Houston
- Radio reporter — Ashley Kellem
- Alien 1 — Henry Alexander Kelly
- Alien 2 — Brett Tubbs
- Phosphine gas in the cloud decks of Venus (original paper)
- Re-analysis of Phosphine in Venus’ Clouds (re-analysis of the original paper by the same team)
- No phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus (a separate team arguing that there is not phosphine in the atmosphere)
- A stringent upper limit of the PH3 abundance at the cloud top of Venus
- Life on Venus? Astronomers See a Signal in Its Clouds
- Promising sign of life on Venus might not exist after all
- Prospects for life on Venus fade — but aren’t dead yet
- A Precursor Balloon Mission for Venusian Astrobiology
- A sign that aliens could stink
- Astronomers Find Water on an Exoplanet Twice the Size of Earth
- Defining Lyfe in the Universe: From Three Privileged Functions to Four Pillars
- Detection Technique for Artificially Illuminated Objects in the Outer Solar System and Beyond
- Will we soon see city lights glittering on distant planets?
- Mysterious Purple Sea Orb Stymies Scientists
- First Contact with Possible Futures
- Habitable Worlds Require Prime Galactic Real Estate
- Protocols for an ETI Signal Detection
- The Politics of Protocols or: How I Spent My (Southern Hemisphere) Spring Vacation
- Arecibo Message
- The Golden Record
- Searching for trouble?
- Is Stephen Hawking right about aliens?
- An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States
- Impossible Predictions of the Unprecedented: Analogy, History, and the Work of Prognostication
- How to build a nuclear warning for 10,000 years’ time
- Our Living Message for Extraterrestrials
- How to Host an Extraterrestrial
- Alien mindscapes – Perspective on the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
- Skillshare: Skillshare is an online learning community where millions come together to take the next step in their creative journey, with thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, on topics including illustration, design, photography, video, freelancing, and more. Start with two free months of Premium Membership, and explore your creativity at Skillshare.com/flashforward.
- Hingston & Olsen Publishing: Projections is a deluxe box set of science-fiction stories that each in some way predicted life in the present day. Order your copy today from hingstonandolsen.com/projections, and save 10% off your purchase when you enter the promo code FLASHFORWARD at checkout.
- Shaker & Spoon: A subscription cocktail service that helps you learn how to make hand-crafted cocktails right at home. Get $20 off your first box at shakerandspoon.com/ffwd.
- Tab for a Cause: A browser extension that lets you raise money for charity while doing your thing online. Whenever you open a new tab, you’ll see a beautiful photo and a small ad. Part of that ad money goes toward a charity of your choice! Join team Advice For And From The future by signing up at tabforacause.org/flashforward.
- Tavour: Tavour is THE app for fans of beer, craft brews, and trying new and exciting labels. You sign up in the app and can choose the beers you’re interested in (including two new ones DAILY) adding to your own personalized crate. Use code: flashforward for $10 off after your first order of $25 or more.
- Purple Carrot: Purple Carrot is THE plant-based subscription meal kit that makes it easy to cook irresistible meals to fuel your body. Each week, choose from an expansive and delicious menu of dinners, lunches, breakfasts, and snacks! Get $30 off your first box by going to www.purplecarrot.com and entering code FLASH at checkout today! Purple Carrot, the easiest way to eat more plants!
- The Listener: Get smart, surprising podcast recommendations in your inbox every day. Listeners to Flash Forward can get two extra months free at thelistener.co using the code flashforward20.
If you want to suggest a future we should take on, send us a note on Twitter, Facebook or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love hearing your ideas! And if you think you’ve spotted one of the little references I’ve hidden in the episode, email us there too. If you’re right, I’ll send you something cool.
And if you want to support the show, there are a few ways you can do that too! Head to www.flashforwardpod.com/support for more about how to give. But if that’s not in the cards for you, you can head to iTunes and leave us a nice review or just tell your friends about us. Those things really do help.
That’s all for this future, come back next time and we’ll travel to a new one.